Legal Support For Same-Sex Couples
For decades, there was a battle to legalize same-sex marriage. When it finally became legal, there was a big cultural shift and several new legal issues. Many of the old difficulties still exist, but they now have to tackle some of the same concerns that traditional couples face.
Our compassionate family law attorneys at Rabiola Law LLC, led by founding lawyer Tara Rabiola, can support you and your family through the legal challenges same-sex couples and their families need to deal with in Greenwood, Johnson County or anywhere in Indiana.
Overcoming Legal Concerns And Lingering Discrimination
There are issues and prejudices that can be challenges for any family life, especially those from the LGBTQ community, including divorce matters and :
- Adoptions. Many agencies still only allow heterosexual couples to adopt. That is often based on religious views. Other times, adoption can be denied by the biological parents. Discrimination still exists and there might be a court battle to try to overcome the challenges.
- Custody. When one of the people in the relationship has a child, that biological parent has parental rights. The nonbiological parent, however, frequently has to fight for those rights.
- Estate taxes. Same-sex couples, just like heterosexual couples, can reduce tax liabilities for their estate.
- Living wills/Power of attorney. In health care emergencies, important decisions might be needed. You can prepare ahead and create a living will or a power of attorney, which could allow you or your partner to make those decisions. A power of attorney can also help when one person in the relationship cannot make financial decisions.
- Probate. There are several estate planning tools you and your partner can prepare in advance that can help avoid probate.
- Taxes. Same-sex couples who are not married frequently face tax concerns. When can you file a joint tax return? Can you file if you are in a civil union or a domestic partnership?
Focused On You, Your Family And The Challenges Faced By Same-Sex Couples
Our firm has been family-focused since we started it almost a decade ago. We are knowledgeable about the challenges same-sex couples face. Call us at 317-932-0633 or email us.